Rutherglen Glencairn Football Club


Rutherglen Glencairn 3 BSC Glasgow 1

Wednesday 30th September 2020 - Friendly match

(Report by Peter Ferguson)

Kierin Coleman fires in a first half free kick.

Glencairn stepped up their pre-season preparations as they hosted Lowland League side BSC Glasgow in a friendly match, the first ever meeting between the two sides. Willie Harvey made only two changes from the team which had started the previous friendly at Cambuslang, with skipper Tam Miller restored in defence and Rikki McIntosh brought in up front.

The game started with the ball being zipped about the park at a furious pace, without any clear goal scoring chances at either end in the opening ten minutes though. The first danger moment came from a surging run by Michael Lone in the 12th minute which was stopped by a foul, and Keirin Coleman fired his effort well over the crossbar (pictured at top).

The Glens were edging on top in the game now, and Scott Schoneville linked well on the left with McIntosh to feed Michael Lone in side the penalty area. The young midfielder twisted and turned and then fed Derek McNab who rolled the ball into the path of Harry Mitchell, and he produced a precise low right-footed shot which beat goalkeeper Stephen Barr at his right hand post.

The visitors responded immediately by going on the offensive, and Garry Whyte was forced into a diving save to his right to palm a firm angled shot round the post. Grant Rose was next to try his luck for BSC as he pounced on a slack pass out of defence, but his shot rose high and wide.

Chances were coming at both ends now, and Jackson Biggar's run up the right opened up an opportunity for Michael Lone to curl a shot just wide of the far post. McIntosh pulled a save out of Barr with a shot from an acute angle in the 22nd minute, and McIntosh threatened again after fine play by Mitchell, the final ball across goal being just too far in front of McNab.

The front pairing combined to double Glencairn's lead in the 35th minute. McIntosh found space on the left and fed the ball into Derek McNab, who turned away from his marker and fired past Barr from close range.

BSC were struggling to break down the home defence, but were awarded a soft free kick 25 yards from goal. Former Glencairn playmaker Jamie Hamilton curled the ball over the wall, but Whyte was a match to the effort as he dived low to his right to beat the ball away. The Lowland League side's frustration was showing just before half time as Ross Lindsay tried an ambitious angled shot from distance which flew well off target

Half time : 2-0

Jackson Biggar looks to launch a first half Glencairn attack.

As usual in friendly matches there were numerous personnel changes on both sides at the interval, and it was going to be interesting to see if that changed the flow of the match in any way.

Michael Anderson of BSC was fortunate only to be shown a yellow card in the 50th minute as he blatantly hacked Mitchell to the ground after he had been shown a clean pair of heels. Fortunately Mitchell was not badly hurt as it was a dreadful tackle and nowhere near the ball.

Glencairn continued to threaten and Liam Gormley showed good strength to hold off his marker before his shot was blocked by the goalkeeper, and Mitchell's rebound header effort flew wide. The same two players combined to make it 3-0 in the 62nd minute though. Mitchell's exquisite pass through the defence set up Liam Gormley and, although the goalkeeper got an intial block to the ball, it spun up and over him leaving the striker with an empty goal to fire the ball into.

Grant Rose was wasteful for BSC at the mid point of the second half as he fired well over the crossbar from close range after he had been picked out by a low cross from the right. Ross Lyon tried his luck a few minutes later with an angled shot which flew a yard too high and wide.

BSC gave themselves some hope of a comeback with ten minutes remaining as Ross Lindsay curled a "Messi-like" free kick into the postage stamp corner, giving Whyte no chance to save.

Kieran Hannaway went close for Glencairn as the clock ticked towards full time, holding off his marker and turning inside before firing straight at the goalkeeper on his line. The final effort on goal came from BSC as Rose looped a header up and over the crossbar onto the roof of the net.

The Glens will now face another test from the Lowland League as they travel to face East Kilbride FC at the K Park on Saturday afternoon.

Rutherglen Glencairn :- Whyte, Coleman, O'Byrne, Miller, Wingate, Biggar, Michael Lone, Mitchell, Schoneville, McIntosh, McNab. (Subs - McGuire, Trialist, Hannaway, Kerr, Gormley, Cochrane, Maxwell, Smith, McLellan (gk).)

BSC Glasgow :- Barr, Bell, Ballantyne, McBrearty, Fitzpatrick, Hamilton, Geggan, Easdale, Rose, Anderson, Lindsay. (Subs - McCormack, Mills, Lyon, Reilly, Tierney, Agyeman, Avci.)

Man of the match - (chosen by Peter Ferguson) Keirin Coleman.

 Keirin Coleman


Latest Glencairn news via Twitter