Rutherglen Glencairn Football Club


Cambuslang Rangers 1 Rutherglen Glencairn 1

Saturday 26th September 2020 - Friendly match

(Report by Peter Ferguson)

Rikki McIntosh fires in Glencairn's equaliser from the penalty spot.

Glencairn retained the William Skinner Memorial Trophy as they fought out a 1-1 draw away to Cambuslang Rangers to win 5-2 on aggregate over the two pre-season friendly matches. As ever with 'Lang v Glens matches, it was a keenly contested affair, with chances at both ends throughout the match.

The Glens made four changes to the starting team from Wednesday night, with a return to action after almost a year on the sidelines for goalkeeper Garry Whyte, and a return to the club for striker Derek McNab.

The hosts had a lot of work to do if they were going to be in contention for the trophy, but they started well and Willie McLaren pulled an early save out of Whyte with a curling free kick. The Glens responded by going close as Harry Mitchell set up Michael Lone who pulled his shot narrowly wide of the near post.

It was a very even contest at this stage, and McLaren drilled just over the crossbar before Kieron Maxwell did likewise for Glencairn at the other end. Mitchell was prominent and his shot from 25 yards was deflected over goalkeeper Firmen Jimenez but also just over the crossbar.

Keirin Coleman in first half action.

The Glens had a great chance to go ahead in the 28th minute as Jackson Biggar's corner picked out the free head of McNab at the back post, but he couldn't direct the ball on target. A minute later it was a huge chance at the other end as Scott Williamson ran through on goal, but Whyte won the battle of wills to snatch the ball as the striker tried to dribble round him.

Scott Jarvie's low swerving shot through a crowd of players was well saved by Whyte on his goal line in the 32nd minute. The hosts were on top at this point, and Scott McKean's near post flick went just over the crossbar on the end of an inswinging delivery by McLaren.

There was a huge let-off for the referee in the 40th minute as Thomas Sinclair fired over the bar after play had been allowed to continue despite an obvious handball earlier in the move.

Glencairn weathered that mini-storm, and pressed for a goal themselves in the build-up to half time. Mitchell cut infield and shot from 18 yards but pulled his effort wide of the near post.

Half time :- 0-0

Derby matches against Cambuslang Rangers are always keenly contested.

Glencairn made four changes at the break and re-shaped to a traditional 4-4-2. Jay McKay and Liam Gormley formed the front pairing, while Sean McGuire was unusually deployed at right back. The early second half signs were good for The Glens as Scott Schoneville almost set up firstly McKay and then Rikki McIntosh.

Michael Lone was really unlucky with a clever chip which beat Jimenez but rebounded from the upright. McKay fed McIntosh on the rebound but he fired over the crossbar from 12 yards out. McKay was caught late by a tackle by Craig Crawford and had to get treatment. He returned to the play for a brief spell but was later withdrawn and McIntosh was moved up alongside Gormley. Before leaving the field, though, McKay almost set up McIntosh for a goal with a dangerous cross which flashed across the face of goal.

The deadlock was broken just after the hour mark, with more than a hint of controversy. A reverse pass released Scott McManus who looked to be offside, but the referee allowed play to go on and he placed his shot past Whyte to put 'Lang ahead.

Whyte made a good stop down low to his left to deny Kieran Christie in the 66th minute as the hosts looked to capitalise on their lead.

Just as the opening goal was hotly debated by the defending team, so was Glencairn's equaliser in the 72nd minute. Gormley went down under a challenge by Jarvie as he turned away from goal, and the referee whistled for a penalty kick. After the disputes had finished, Rikki McIntosh drilled the ball firmly past Jimenez to make it 1-1 (pictured at top).

 Rikki McIntosh

The Glens' tails were up now, and a minute later Mitchell's cross was glanced wide by the head of McIntosh, and a further minute later Mitchell's low driven shot flashed wide of the far post.

The hosts hadn't given up hope of winning the game, though, and Whyte produced a stunning save to deny McManus' header right in front of goal. Whyte followed this up by scrambling across his goal to deny McManus again, and then blocking Jarvie's rebound shot after Keirin Coleman had cleared off the goal line.

Glencairn fancied the win as well, though, and they went so close when Lee Cochrane's shot was flicked past Jimenez by Gormley, only for the ball to rebound from the upright once again and bounce away from any player in black and white. Michael Lone's back post header was saved on the goal line by Jimenez in the final chance of the match.

After the full time whistle, Cambuslang Rangers chairman Gordon Dinnie presented Glencairn's captain for the day Mick O'Byrne with the William Skinner Memorial Trophy.

Cambuslang Rangers :- Jimenez, Faulds, Murphy, Scott, McKean, McLaren, Jarvie, Crawford, Sinclair, Williamson, Stewart. (Subs - Gray, McLean, Campbell, McFarlane, McManus, Christie.)

Rutherglen Glencairn :- Whyte, Biggar, Coleman, O'Byrne, Schoneville, Wingate, Maxwell, Michael Lone, McGuire, Mitchell, McNab. (Subs - Cochrane, McIntosh, McKay, Gormley, McLellan (gk).)

Man of the match - (chosen by Andy Handjin) Garry Whyte.


Latest Glencairn news via Twitter