Rutherglen Glencairn Football Club


Rutherglen Glencairn 4 Cambuslang Rangers 1

Wednesday 23rd September 2020 - Friendly match

(Report by Peter Ferguson)

Jay McKay races through to set up Rikki McIntosh for the opening goal.

Glencairn made it two pre-season wins out of two as local rivals Cambuslang Rangers were defeated at the Hamish B. Allan Stadium in the first of a double header to decide the annual William Skinner Memorial Cup.

Willie Harvey made three changes to the starting team from the weekend's win over Carluke Rovers, and there were first starts for new signings Rikki McIntosh and Kieron Maxwell, both of whom were to go on to make a significant impact on the match.

Jay McKay had gone close for The Glens before the opening goal arrived in the 9th minute. Maxwell's through ball saw McKay spring the offside trap (pictured above), and he squared across goal for Rikki McIntosh to slide in and make it 1-0.

 Rikki McIntosh

It took only two minutes more for the lead to be doubled with an absolute screamer of a goal. The ball broke in front of Kieron Maxwell fully 35 yards from goal, and he fired a shot which flew right into the top left hand corner of the net.

The action continued at a pace you would expect of a keenly contested local derby, and 'Lang were right back in the game in the 15th minute. A free kick was awarded on the edge of the penalty area, and Willie McLaren swerved the ball over the wall and into the postage stamp corner, with Scott McLellan beaten all ends up.

Cambuslang's tails were now up and they had a good spell of pressure without forcing McLellan into a save. The Glens responded as Harry Mitchell's snapshot pulled a fine save out of Ian Stewart at the other end. McLaren's threat for the visitors was clear again as his curling corner flashed across the face of goal with no takers on the end of it.

Mitchell set up McIntosh for two efforts in the run-up to half time but Stewart was equal to the efforts on both occasions. The referee added a minute of stoppage time at the end of the first half and The Glens came so close to scoring again. Scott Schoneville ran on to McIntosh's pass and fired across Stewart, only to see the ball rebound from the inside of the far post and back out.

Half time :- 2-1

Jay McKay sets up another Glencairn first half attack.

Both sides made the expected raft of changes at the interval, but Cambuslang were first to go close in the second half as Andrew Duffy's shot from distance was saved but fumbled by McLellan before he grabbed the loose ball on the ground.

Michael Lone cut in from the left for Glencairn just before the hour mark and pulled a save out of the 'Lang goalkeeper, and Lone was denied again after being released through on goal by a delightful pass by Mitchell.

The visitors threatened an equaliser in the 72nd minute as Taylor Scott's cross saw Scott Williamson get in between defender Keirin Coleman and Mick O'Byrne, but he was always stretching and couldn't direct the ball on target.

Instead of 2-2, a minute later it was 3-1 to Glencairn as Drew Wingate's brilliant reverse pass set up Rikki McIntosh, and he drilled the ball decisively under the goalkeeper from a tight angle.

Glencairn were comfortable in the game now, and McKay set up Jackson Biggar for a drilled angled shot which rose a few feet over the crossbar. Cambuslang went close again, though, as Scott Jarvie's low angled shot had McLellan beaten but slipped inches wide of the far post.

The game was effectively over as a contest with 10 minutes left to play. McKay's pass to Michael Lone saw the midfielder upended in between the goalkeeper and a defender, and the referee whistled for a penalty kick. Rikki McIntosh stepped up to complete his hat-trick, firing convincingly to the 'keeper's left.

Campbell Gray's shot from distance dipped just over the crossbar for Cambuslang, before McIntosh was denied a fourth goal at the other end after a fine pass by Lee Cochrane.

McLellan made an excellent save in the 87th minute to deny a close range header, and he made another excellent save in stoppage time to deny Williamson in a one-on-one, Williamson firing into the net on the rebound but seeing the strike disallowed for controlling the ball with his arm.

The sides now meet again on Saturday at Somervell Park with the aggregate score of the two matches deciding the destination of the William Skinner Memorial Cup.

Rutherglen Glencairn :- McLellan, Coleman, O'Byrne, Miller, Biggar, McGuire, Maxwell, Mitchell, Schoneville, McKay, McIntosh. (Subs - Michael Lone, Cochrane, Wingate, Tommy Lone, Smith, Whyte (gk).)

Cambuslang Rangers :- Ian Stewart, McLean, Murphy, Campbell, McManus, McLaren, Ross, Crawford, Sinclair, McAuley, Ryan Stewart. (Subs - Gray, Duffy, Scott, McFarlane, McKean, Jarvie, Williamson, Christie, Jimenez (gk).)

Man of the match - (chosen by Peter Ferguson) Rikki McIntosh.


Latest Glencairn news via Twitter