Rutherglen Glencairn Football Club


Rutherglen Glencairn 2 Clydebank 4

Saturday 10th October 2015 - New Coin Holdings West of Scotland Cup Round One

(Report by Peter Ferguson)

Clydebank 2

Denis McLaughlin was at the centre of a lot of the first half action.

The Glens bowed out of the New Coin Holdings West of Scotland Cup with defeat to league leaders Clydebank, but it was a battling performance and a big improvement on the previous week's league defeat to Largs Thistle. Glencairn's squad were left with battle scars after this encounter, with no fewer than three home players taken to hospital before the final whistle.

It was a reshuffled starting XI which was named by manager Willie Harvey, with influential players Andy Neil and Tony Fraser unavailable due to illness and injury respectively. Robert Kerr was given the goalkeeper gloves as JC Hutchison was rested, and Adam Shaw returned at right back in place of Graeme Brown. In the midfield there were places for Adam Nisanci and Jonny Boal, with Sean McGuire and Mark Batchelor also given a rest. Clydebank also shuffled their pack as both managers looked ahead to important matches in the league and Scottish Junior Cup over the coming fortnight.

There was a positive start from the home side, and Denis McLaughlin had the first effort on target in the match when his angled free kick from 20 yards was saved on the goal line by Clydebank goalkeeper Josh Lumsden. Clydebank's first big chance game in the 6th minute when Mark Burbidge was released on the right edge of the penalty area, and he fired across Kerr but wide of the far post.


Two of Glencairn's new young supporters were getting right behind their team.

Clydebank opened the scoring in the 9th minute as they exposed gaps in the home defence. A chipped pass sprung the offside trap on the left, and Jordan Shelvey's cross was right onto the head of Alan Vezza who nodded into the top right hand corner, Kerr getting a hand to the ball but unable to keep it out.

The Glens were struggling at this stage to create anything of note as the visitors had a grip on the game, and the lead was doubled in the 20th minute. Clydebank were awarded a free kick just outside the penalty area, and Robert O'Neill fired a firm shot round the wall which Kerr could only help on its way into the corner of the net.

The pressure continued and David Dunnachie had to make a brilliant block right in front of goal to deny what seemed a certain goal for Ryan Holms. The frustration of the home players was showing as McLaughlin was shown yellow after an incident with Clydebank captain Phil Barclay.

Kerr made a good block to deny Burbidge before McLaughlin was penalised for another foul, the away support calling for the referee to show a second yellow which he resisted. Holms went close another twice for Clydebank in the 37th minute, firstly just missing a cross from Burbidge and then turning a cross from the other side by Shelvey wide of the target from close range.

As the match moved towards the interval Glencairn started to create chances, and Mark Tait found himself clean through on Lumsden in the 40th minute but pulled his effort wide of the target from 18 yards.

The game was competitive again in the 43rd minute as Glencairn were awarded a penalty kick when Jonny Boal was caught late as he crossed from the bye line. Boal had to be carried off before Denis McLaughlin drilled the spot kick into the net to make it 2-1 (pictured below).

Clydebank 1

Denis McLaughlin fires Glencairn back into the match from the penalty spot.

Both sides made a substitution before the restart, with Mark McCarry replacing the injured Boal, and Clydebank replacing Mark Burbidge with Gregor Cree.

Half time : 1-2

Clydebank made a further change at the interval with defender Graham Mort replacing second goal scorer O'Neill.

The 49th minute saw drama as Clydebank went close to scoring and Glencairn ended up losing two more players to injury. Cree's cross from the right ended at the feet of Holms, but Kerr made a good block. The ball spun up towards goal, and defenders Shaw and Dunnachie both jumped with commitment to head the ball away, resulting in a sickening clash of heads. Kerr palmed the loose ball round the post for a corner, as both defenders lay on the ground with blood pouring from their wounds.

Play was held up while the players were treated, but neither was able to continue, so Sean McGuire and Graeme Brown were introduced and Glencairn switched to a 3-5-2 system. The eventual corner ended with Dean Muir clearing off the goal line after a back post effort by Jonathan Allan.

Nicky Little was next to try his luck for Clydebank as he curled a free kick over the bar from 20 yards, and Glencairn responded with a low McCarry shot which was easily saved by Lumsden.

Tait's persistence forced an error in the Clydebank defence in the 69th minute, resulting in an indirect free kick given inside the penalty area for the goalkeeper handling a pass back. Alan Muir rolled the ball to McLaughlin, but his effort was blocked by the resolute Clydebank defence.

The match was still in the balance at a one-goal deficit, but Clydebank effectively killed the contest in the 71st minute with a quality goal. A cross from the right was headed out by McGuire but only into the path of Phil Barclay, who drilled the ball straight back through a crowd of players and into the corner of the net past a blinded Kerr. It was a goal from the moment it left Barclay's foot.

Clydebank immediately made their final change with Steven Young replacing Little. It was 4-1 in the 76th minute when Barclay's pass released Ryan Holms, and he slipped the ball past Kerr from 16 yards. Cree should have made it five when he got on the end of Shelvey's cross, but he headed over from right in front of goal.

Glencairn were given a glimmer of hope in the 79th minute when McGuire was tripped in the penalty area and the referee again pointed to the spot. McLaughlin stepped up again, but this time he drilled his shot against the crossbar, to the frustration of the home support.

Denis McLaughlin Denis McLaughlin

Tait forced Lumsden into a save at the end of a swift breakaway involving Alan Muir and McLaughlin in the 82nd minute, before Glencairn scored a second goal in the 85th minute to give their fans hope of a grandstand finish. McLaughlin's cross from the right found its way through to Mark McCarry who produced a precise finish at the back post to make it 4-2.

Mark McCarry Mark McCarry

There was to be no way back into the match, however, and Clydebank saw the game out comfortably for a deserved win.

Rutherglen Glencairn :- Kerr, Shaw (Brown), Eadie, Doyle, Dunnachie (McGuire), Dean Muir, Nisanci, Alan Muir, McLaughlin, Tait, Boal (McCarry). (Subs not used - Batchelor, Cullen.)

Clydebank :- Lumsden, MacKenzie, Paterson, Allan, O'Neill (Mort), Vezza, Burbidge (Cree), Barclay, Holms, Little (Young), Shelvey. (Subs not used - Cole, Birnie.)

Man of the match - (chosen by Mark Hughes) Alan Muir.

Alan Muir Alan Muir


Latest Glencairn news via Twitter