Rutherglen Glencairn Football Club


East Kilbride FC 1 Rutherglen Glencairn 2

Saturday 3rd October 2020 - Friendly match

(Report by Peter Ferguson)

Scott Schoneville in first half action for Glencairn.

Glencairn's positive pre-season continued with a second win over Lowland League opposition within three days, as East Kilbride FC were beaten in horribly wet conditions at the K Park.

Following the win over BSC Glasgow in midweek, manager Willie Harvey made four changes to the team, with Scott McLellan in goals and a return to the starting XI for Kieron Maxwell, Sean McGuire and Liam Gormley.

Given the dreadful overhead conditions, it was understandable that the match took some time to spark into action. The Kilby were on the front foot in the early stages, and Craig Malcolm headed over the crossbar in the 9th minute in the first real chance of the game. Three minutes later McLellan was forced into a fine save down low to his left to stop Darren Smith's on-target effort.

There was controversy in the 20th minute when Darren Smith's shot clearly struck the arm of Glens' defender Mick O'Byrne inside the penalty area, but the referee waved play on and Glencairn broke upfield. The ball was fed into the penalty area where Gormley and Derek McNab combined, and the ball broke into the path of Harry Mitchell who fired into the net from six yards out. It was The Glens' first real chance of the match in the 20th minute.

East Kilbride were still looking threatening, though, with Chris Erskine very prominent, and he set up Darren Smith who crossed across the face of goal, Tam Miller intercepting with a fine clearance.

Glencairn almost scored a delightful breakaway goal in the 26th minute. Mitchell surged forward from halfway and fed McNab. He flicked the ball into the path of Gormley whose first time shot rose inches over the crossbar from 18 yards out.

Erskine tried a curler for East Kilbride in the 27th minute but it flew too high and wide, before there was a bizarre symmetry to the nature of the home side's equaliser in the 33rd minute.

Strong appeals for a Glencairn penalty for handball this time were once again waved away by the referee, and instead East Kilbride broke upfield. The ball was slipped through the defence and Chris Erskine had time to compose himself before firing past McLellan to make it 1-1.

The Glens went back on the offensive and Jackson Biggar's inswinging free kick was headed wide of the target by McNab at the back post. Mitchell was forced to leave the field early after a tough midfield clash left him in a lot of discomfort. He was replaced in the attacking central midfield role by Michael Lone.

Erskine should have done better just before the interval as he found space on the edge of the penalty area, but he scuffed the ball badly straight at the grateful McLellan on his goal line.

Half time : 1-1

Derek McNab links up in a first half Glencairn attack.

The Glens made a further four changes at half time, with Jay McKay and Ciaron Smith now forming the strike pairing, and the introduction of midfielders Drew Wingate and Lee Cochrane.

The hosts started the second half positively once again, and a fine defensive header by Keirin Coleman cleared matters after Darren Smith's dangerous cross in the 48th minute. A minute later a fine last-ditch block by Biggar denied what looked like a certain goal for Darren Smith.

Glencairn should have been ahead in the 51st minute when Cochrane's cross-field pass sprung the offside trap and set up Scott Schoneville. He drilled the ball across goal, where McKay met the ball on the stretch with an open goal but incredibly turned the ball straight into goalkeeper Conor Brennan's lucky arms.

It was a good spell for Glencairn at this stage, and Michael Lone's power and pace were obvious as he burst forward from halfway and ran away from the defence, only to see his attempt on goal denied by a save down low by Brennan.

He wasn't to be denied a few seconds later, though. The ball was fed to Michael Lone on the edge of the penalty area, and he swivelled before lashing a terrific finish past Brennan to put Glencairn back in front at 2-1.

The Kilby made six substitutions just after the hour mark, with a few trialists looking to catch the eye of manager Stephen Aitken.

Michael Lone continued to catch the eye as he burst forward to link with McKay before being snuffed out by the defence, and then he turned and fired in a shot which Brennan saved in the 66th minute.

East Kilbride were clearly not keen to lose the match and noticeably raised their tempo as the game moved into the final quarter. Anthony Brady's header took a coat of paint off the outside of the far post in the 72nd minute, and Coleman made another fine defensive headed clearance from in front of his own goal.

The Glens continued to threaten on the break, though, and Michael Lone once again drove forward before releasing Smith on the right, and his cross came just a bit too far behind McKay who couldn't direct his header under the crossbar.

The home side had The Glens pinned back as the game moved into the final ten minutes, but the defence stood tall and strong and repelled everything that was thrown at them, with McLellan barely called into the action. In contrast, Brennan made another fine save to deny Michael Lone's firm angled short from six yards out as the match moved towards a conclusion.

The referee added no stoppage time at all, with everyone on the pitch grateful to get out of the soaking wet conditions. It was another very positive performance and result for Glencairn in what has been a very encouraging pre-season so far.

East Kilbride FC :- Brennan, Kidd, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Paton, Smith, Hutton, Malcolm, Erskine, Woods. (Subs - Kirwan, Brady, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist, Healy, McGinley (gk).)

Rutherglen Glencairn :- McLellan, Coleman, O'Byrne, Miller, McGuire (Wingate), Biggar, Maxwell (Cochrane), Mitchell (Michael Lone), Schoneville, McNab (Smith), Gormley (McKay).

Man of the match - (chosen by Alan Thomson) Michael Lone.


Latest Glencairn news via Twitter