Rutherglen Glencairn Football Club


Rutherglen Glencairn 3 Newmains United 1

Wednesday 14th October 2015 - Friendly match

(Report by Peter Ferguson)

Newmains United

Glencairn's alternative red and black strips got a rare outing for this match.

Glencairn kept the playing squad ticking over as 19 players were used in this midweek friendly win over Newmain United at New Southcroft Park. Two of the currently unbeaten under 21 side were given the chance to catch the eye with second half substitute appearances, while manager Willie Harvey cast his eye over two trialist strikers who played for just under an hour each.

Glencairn started the match at a furious pace and took the lead with their first attempt on goal. Brian Eadie's cross from the left was contolled on the edge of the box by Trialist no.9, who took a good touch before skipping away from his marker and firing a low shot under goalkeeper Gareth Halford to give The Glens an early 1-0 lead.

The early pressure continued, and Mark McCarry fired across goal and narrowly wide in the 2nd minute before Halford denied Trialist no.9 a minute later, palming a shot round the post for a corner kick. The resulting cross saw Eadie rise and head the ball off the post, as the visitors struggled to cope with the early menace of the hosts in their red and black hooped shirts.

Newmains showed signs of settling into the match in the 4th minute, and a lovely touch by William Tippen kept the ball in play to create a chance for Mark Cassidy, but his angled shot flew over the crossbar. Every attack by Glencairn seemed to have real threat, however, and Trialist no.10 crossed into the path of McCarry whose bullet header from close range smacked off the crossbar in the 5th minute.

The early whirlwind pace couldn't continue, though, and it took another ten minutes for the next chance to arrive, Gary Stewart heading wide for Newmains after a deep cross to the back post. It was as if that warning woke Glencairn up again, as McCarry's flick released Trialist no.10, and his shot was parried away by Halford.

Steven Jeffrey had a big chance to equalise for Newmains in the 17th minute as he latched onto a ball over the top, but his shot hit the outside of the post and rebounded wide of the target.

The trialist front pairing for Glencairn were raising a few eyebrows with their pace, strength and excellent touch. Trialist no.9 dribbled round Halford in the 19th minute only to see his angled shot headed off the line by Liam Edward.

Glencairn doubled their lead in the 24th minute with a quality finish. A cross from the left by Mark Batchelor was controlled by Trialist no.10 on his chest, and he turned his marker before firing a firm shot across Halford and into the far corner of the net to make it 2-0.

The threat from the front two continued on the half hour mark as Trialist no.9 cut in from the left and fired a shot across goal which flashed inches wide of the far post. McCarry should have scored five minutes later when Graeme Brown's cross from the right picked out its target right in front of goal, but McCarry completely missed his kick and the chance was spurned.

Former Glencairn midfielder Colin Boylan was doing his best to control the midfield battle for Newmains, and he almost caught out Robert Kerr in the Glencairn goal with a surprise shot from distance, but the stopper scrambled over to palm the ball away.

The final opportunity of the first half saw Trialist no.10 cut in from the left and fizz a shot over the crossbar from 20 yards, when perhaps a pass to one of the supporting runs around him would have been the better option.

Half time : 2-0

Glencairn kept their eight available substitutes in reserve and were unchanged for the start of the second half, while Newmains made their two available changes.

The trialist front pairing continued to threaten, no.9 firing wide before no.10 pulled a save out of Halford, and United's no.1 also did well to block away a drilled angled effort by Adam Nisanci as The Glens continued on the front foot. William Tippen tried an audacious effort to lob Kerr from the centre circle for Newmains, but he was a few yards off target with the shot.

The 53rd minute saw the first batch of substitutions, the two trialists leaving the field to be replaced up front by Denis McLaughlin and Paddy Cullen. JC Hutchison also replaced Kerr betwen the sticks.

It didn't take long for McLaughlin to make an impact on the game, clipping a delightful pass through to Brown on the overlap, and Brown's cross was fired into the net at the back post by Adam Nisanci to make it 3-0 after 55 minutes.

Adam Nisanci Adam Nisanci

With the game now effectively won, it was time for another couple of substitutions, with midfielder Alan Muir replacing goal scorer Nisanci, and striker Mark Tait coming on in the wide left position to replace McCarry. Halford made an excellent double save on the hour mark, first of all palming out Muir's whipped corner from the goal line, and then reacting quickly to tip Batchelor's rebound header over the bar.

United gave themselves some hope of a comeback in the 62nd minute when they pulled a goal back, Mark Cassidy pouncing on some indecisive defending and curling an excellent finish on the turn from the edge of the penalty area. Tippen headed over the bar as Newmains looked to pull another goal back a few minutes later.

Sean McGuire replaced Paul O'Connor in midfield, and McGuire almost scored in the 73rd minute when he was set up by Cullen for a shot, but Halford save well again. Under 21 defenders Josh McCorry and Kyle Chrystal replaced Andy Neil and Brown respectively in The Glens' final changes.

Tait's low shot in the 86th minute was an easy save for Halford, and the busy goalie did well a few moments later to deny a low shot by Muir. Cullen's bad luck in front of goal continued in the 87th minute when he was released by McGuire and clipped the ball past Halford, only to see the ball rebound from the post and back out to Halford's grateful arms. Halford made another save with almost the final touch of the ball as he denied Tait.

Rutherglen Glencairn :- Kerr (Hutchison), Brown (Chrystal), Eadie, Doyle, Neil (McCorry), O'Connor (McGuire), Nisanci (Alan Muir), Batchelor, Trialist (McLaughlin), Trialist (Cullen), McCarry (Tait).

Newmains United :- Halford, McDonald, Fraser, Edward, Carrigan, Boylan, Stewart, Tippen, Cassidy, Kane, Jeffrey. (Subs - McFarlane, O'Donnell.)

Man of the match - (chosen by Alan Thomson) Joint award - Trialist no.9 and Trialist no.10.


Latest Glencairn news via Twitter