Rutherglen Glencairn Football Club


Rutherglen Glencairn 1 Rossvale 3

Monday 11th January 2016 - Friendly match

(Report by Peter Ferguson)

Rossvale 1

Kenny Hadden in action on his return to Glencairn on loan from Petershill.

Glencairn's first match of 2016 turned into a disappointing defeat to Central District League Division One side Rossvale in a friendly match at Glasgow Green Football Centre. The Glens, who have only played one competitive match in the past 51 days, looked rusty after a bright start to the match, and ultimately Rossvale deserved their victory.

There was a place in the starting line-up for on-loan defender Kenny Hadden, who made his return to the club he won the Super League Division One title with six years ago. Hadden took his place at left back in a 4-5-1 formation, with Mark Tait the only recognised striker available before kick off, although a trialist striker arrived in time to take his place on the subs' bench. Brian Eadie also returned to the team after a spell of injury and working away from home.

Glencairn started the match brightly and went close to opening the scoring in the 3rd minute. Hadden's overlapping run and cross looked perfect for Mark Batchelor to score at the back post, but the midfielder couldn't connect with the ball and the chance was spurned. Adam Nisanci was next to go close in the 7th minute as he drilled a free kick under the defensive wall, with Rossvale goalkeeper Brown saving on his goal line.

Rossvale's first threat came in the 10th minute when a free kick from the left was flicked on by the head of Glens defender Graeme Brown and flashed across goal for a corner kick. A couple of minutes later former Glens striker Jay McKay got the better of Brown and fired in a shot which Robert Kerr saved down low on his goal line.

The Glens took the lead in the 17th minute, taking advantage of a goalkeeping slip. Brown's throw-out was intercepted by Hadden, who lobbed the ball back over the 'keeper from just outside the centre circle. Brown could only palm the ball out from under his crossbar as he stepped backwards, and Mark Tait had anticipated that possibility and was on hand to slam the ball into the net from a yard out.

Mark Tait Mark Tait

Glencairn were looking confident at this stage, and Sean McGuire's threaded pass released Batchelor on the right and he cut inside his marker before an inaccurate pass aimed for Tait saw the chance slip away.

The scores were level against the run of play in the 24th minute as Ryan Kane cut in from left and fired in a shot which slipped past Kerr's hand at his near post to make it 1-1.

That blow seemed to knock Glencairn's confidence for six and boost their opponents, as The Glens proceeded to go into their shell and Rossvale began to dominate. Fraser Team went close with a lob which dropped wide of the target, before 'Vale took the lead in the 33rd minute. Nice link play on the edge of the box between McKay and Team ended with Fraser Team firing under Kerr at his near post from a tight angle.

Rossvale were now very much on the front foot, with Hunter firing over the bar from 20 yards before Kane curled a free kick just over the bar from the same distance. Glencairn went close on the brink of half time as Alan Muir's free kick was headed wide by Paul Doyle, but the referee whistled for offside anyway.

Half time : 1-2

Rossvale 2

Adam Nisanci fires in a first half free kick.

Glencairn made five changes at the interval, including the trialist striker replacing Tait up front.

There was almost a repeat of the opening goal in the 51st minute as Hadden once again intercepted a throw-out and lobbed the ball back again, but this time the Rossvale 'keeper managed to reach back and tip the ball over the crossbar at full stretch.

Hunter tried another shot from the edge of the box in the 55th minute which Glencairn substitute goalkeeper JC Hutchison saved comfortably above his head. A couple of minutes later at the other end Paul O'Connor tried a snap volley from 18 yards which flew too high. A brilliant sliding challenge by Adam Shaw denied what seemed like a certain goal for McKay after Andy Neil had been caught in possession.

Glencairn were looking more threatening as the hour mark approached, O'Connor seeing his low shot saved before Hadden's drilled shot shaved the outside of the post.

Rossvale were gifted the chance to increase their lead in the 62nd minute as they were awarded a penalty kick. It had looked to most people that Doyle had won the ball cleanly in his tackle, but the referee disagreed and pointed to the spot. Lloyd Kinnaird fired high into the net to make it 3-1.

Kinnaird pulled a save out of Hutchison in the 67th minute as Rossvale looked to increase their lead, and a few minutes later Hutchison made a brilliant save to deny McKay after Glencairn had given the ball away cheaply again.

Glencairn changed to two up top for the final quarter of the match, but they could not find a way to goal, O'Connor firing wildly over the bar when he had passing options on either side, and the trialist striker firing over the crossbar on the turn.

Rutherglen Glencairn :- Kerr (Hutchison), Brown (Shaw), Hadden, Doyle, Eadie (Neil), McGuire (O'Connor), Batchelor, Dean Muir, Tait (Trialist), Alan Muir, Nisanci.

Rossvale :- Brown, Irvine, Leadbetter, Gamba, McGregor, Hunter, Kane, Bradley, Team, Cassells, McKay. (Subs - Hepburn, Coll, Kinnaird, O'Donnell, Calder (gk).)

Man of the match - (chosen by Mark Hughes) Kenny Hadden.

Kenny Hadden Kenny Hadden


Latest Glencairn news via Twitter