Rutherglen Glencairn Football Club


Shettleston 4 Rutherglen Glencairn 0

Wednesday 20th April 2016 - Friendly match

(Report by Peter Ferguson)

Shettleston 1

Mark McCarry made his comeback from long term injury and played 90 minutes.

Glencairn took on this friendly match away to Super Premier League side Shettleston with the sole purpose of looking at several trialists and fringe squad players. Willie Harvey changed the entire team from Saturday's league win over Cumnock Juniors, with only Tony Fraser and Mark Batchelor being asked to form part of the playing squad on the substitutes' bench.

There was the welcome sight of a playing comeback for Mark McCarry after several months out with a troublesome foot injury, and Dean Muir also took his place on the bench as he also recovers from injury. Shettleston fielded a strong side with a view to their battle to secure their place in the top league for another season.

Shettleston took the lead in the 7th minute as a cross from the left was met by the head of Scott Anson, and his effort hit the crossbar before rebounding from unfortunate Glencairn goalkeeper Grant Thomson and into his own net.

The referee baffled everybody in the ground in the 27th minute when he awarded an indirect free kick to Shettleston on the penalty spot, judging that Thomson had picked up a pass back. Everybody else in the ground saw that home striker Ricky McIntosh had the final touch on the ball before Thomson picked it up. Thomson saved the referee's blushes by brilliantly tipping the deflected shot by Robert Campbell onto the crossbar and over.

Glencairn's closest effort of the first half came in the 41st minute when Colin Kemley's cross from the right was met by the head of Paddy Cullen, and Ryan McCrone had to get back on his goal line to head clear.

Half time :- 1-0

Shettleston 2

Paddy Cullen got a valuable ninety minutes of action.

Shettleston doubled their lead in an equally fortuitous fashion in the 48th minute. A cross from the right took an horrendous bounce on the bobbly pitch and bounced through to Anson, whose shot back across goal bounced off Trialist no.5 and into his own net for own goal number two.

Four minutes later it was 3-0 as a long ball caught out the makeshift Glencairn defence, and Ricky McIntosh showed his pace to latch onto the ball and lob it calmly over Thomson.

Cullen almost pulled a goal back for Glencairn in the 61st minute with a curling free kick which was tipped round the post at full stretch by home goalkeeper Reon Juskowiak. The resulting corner wasn't effectively cleared by the Shettleston defence, and some lovely footwork by Cullen created a chance to shoot, but he snatched at the effort and chipped it over the bar.

Shettleston made it 4-0 in the 75th minute, and this time there was no doubting that it was Scott Anson's goal, as he stabbed the ball into the net from close range after a cross had been nodded into his path.

Willie Harvey was satisfied with what he got out of the evening, and he commented, "We always intended to do what we did tonight, that's why we took on the game. We had a look at what these players have to offer us, and saw their strengths and weaknesses. It was good to give a lot of players a rest as well ahead of the hectic match schedule which is about to start."

Shettleston :- Juskowiak, McGuigan, McGillion (Bianco), Dickson, McCrone (Dalzell), Boyle, Campbell, McEwan (Parker), Anson, McIntosh, Frances.

Rutherglen Glencairn :- Thomson, Borland (McHendry), Conroy (Batchelor), McCorry (Fraser), Trialist, Chrystal, Kemley (Trialist), Salah, Cullen, Trialist (Dean Muir), McCarry.

Man of the match - (chosen by Colin McNab) Josh McCorry.


Latest Glencairn news via Twitter