Rutherglen Glencairn Football Club


Rutherglen Glencairn 3 Shotts Bon Accord 0

Thursday 15th October 2020 - Pre-season friendly match

(Report by Peter Ferguson)

Derek McNab (number 7) pounces to score Glencairn's second goal (ball hidden).

Glencairn rounded off their pre-season match schedule with a solid 3-0 home win over Shotts Bon Accord. It meant that the build-up games this season have seen five wins, one draw and one defeat, with 22 goals scored in the process.

There were eight changes to the starting line-up from the defeat at Wishaw last Saturday, with room also for a look at a young trialist defender who turned out to be one of only two players to be given the full 90 minutes of action, with the nine substitutes on the bench all getting the full second half.

The Glens set the tone for the evening by going close inside the opening sixty seconds. Derek McNab's reverse pass released Liam Gormley through the middle, but he was denied initially by a block tackle then saw his second attempt headed off the goal line by defender Andrew Muir.

Shotts' first threatening move came in the 8th minute as Danny Burns' cross was headed back across goal by Luke Watt, but the defence snuffed out the danger and Glencairn broke quickly to the other end, where McNab's cross for Gormley was blocked out.

The resulting corner saw the deadline broken in the 10th minute. Scott Schoneville's curling delivery saw McNab almost convert, but the ball broke into the path of Terry Hewitt who simply couldn't miss from a yard out in front of goal.

A lovely passing move started by Jackson Biggar in the 17th minute ended with Gormley setting up McNab, but he sliced his shot wide of the near post. The visitors responded with a low drilled effort by Craig Hastings which took a deflection on its way through to Scott McLellan's save.

Shotts' goalkeeper Jonathan Murdoch got in a bit of a fankle in the 21st minute, nearly allowing Gormley to take advantage, but the stopper recovered to spare his blushes. The trialist defender had been performing steadily, and he came to the rescue for Glencairn in the 28th minute with a fine clearance in front of goal as a cross seemed to be coming right onto the head of Jordon Love.

Biggar tried to set up Gormley just after the half hour but, when the ball broke back into his path, he tried his luck himself, firing a yard high and wide from 20 yards out. Bon Accord had a huge chance to equalise in the 35th minute as Burns capitalised on a defensive slip to run through on goal, but McLellan won the battle of wills to block with his legs.

Shotts went close again shortly after that with a free kick from 22 yards by Hastings which dipped just over the crossbar, although McLellan appeared to be confident that it wasn't hitting the target.

As half time approached The Glens upped the tempo again, and McNab pulled a save out of Murdoch with a shot which was palmed round the post for a corner. The danger wasn't over for the visitors, though, and the lead was doubled as Biggar's curling cross picked out Derek McNab at the back post (pictured above) and he headed into the net.

Half time : 2-0

Glencairn's defence stand strong as Shotts threaten in the first half.

Glencairn changed to a traditional 4-4-2 formation for the second half, with the trialist moved from the right of a back three to a traditional right back position. His cross in the opening minute of the second half came over defender Chris Meikle, allowing Ciaron Smith to volley for goal but the shot was well off target.

Smith had the ball in the net in the 52nd minute as he slid in to convert after fine play by Drew Wingate and Jay McKay, but the referee disallowed the strike ruling that Smith was marginally offside. Burns continued to be the main danger man for Shotts, and his surging run at the home defence was snuffed out for a corner at the second attempt.

The strength and power of central midfielder Michael Lone was evident in the 55th minute as he took possession on his own 18 yard line. He turned and surged forward up the centre of the pitch with Shotts players simply unable to catch him. When he reached the other 18 yard line he slipped a pass to McKay who pulled his shot wide of the far post.

Michael Lone was the architect behind The Glens' third goal just after the hour mark. He used his strength once again to burst into the penalty area, then showed his touch and awareness to lift a perfect cross to the back post where Drew Wingate was waiting to volley into the net.

 Drew Wingate

Burns had chance to pull a goal back for Shotts in the 76th minute as he got clear of the defence on the left edge of the penalty area, but Garry Whyte raced out to block with his legs. Burns was denied by Whyte again in the 83rd minute as his angled shot was firstly parried and then tipped over the crossbar.

Some lovely play by Ryan Kerr in the 86th minute saw him surge forward from left back before picking out Smith with a clever cross, but the striker couldn't quite turn the ball back into the path of his intended target in McKay.

Dean Sutherland had the final attempt on goal of the match as he sliced his shot high and wide for Shotts in the 90th minute.

And so a very positive pre-season match schedule came to a conclusion, and The Glens now look forward to the real action starting on the 24th October with our first venture in to the SFA South Region Challenge Cup away to Thornton Hibs, our first competitive match as a senior club.

Rutherglen Glencairn :- McLellan (Whyte), Trialist, Hewitt (Coleman), Miller, Biggar (Tommy Lone), McGuire (Wingate), Maxwell (Mitchell), McIntosh (Michael Lone), Schoneville (Kerr), McNab (McKay), Gormley (Smith).

Shotts Bon Accord :- Murdoch, Eley, Burns, Muir, Meikle, Evans, Sutherland, Watt, McGeough, Hastings, Love. (Subs - Hunter, Logan, McGuigan, Mooney, Barnes.)

Man of the match - (chosen by Elizabeth Allan) Jackson Biggar.


Latest Glencairn news via Twitter