Rutherglen Glencairn Football Club


Wishaw 1 Rutherglen Glencairn 0

Saturday 10th October 2020 - Friendly match

(Report by Peter Ferguson)

Sean McGuire sets up a first half Glencairn attack.

The Glens tasted defeat for the first time in six pre-season matches as they stumbled to a single goal defeat away to Conference C side Wishaw.

Willie Harvey made six changes to the starting team from last week's win over East Kilbride FC, most of them enforced due to minor knocks and the unavailabilty of certain players. Only three outfield substitutes were named, unusually few for a friendly match. It was pleasing to see the return to action of defender Ryan Kerr after a year and a half out of action with a serious knee injury. Brothers Tommy and Michael Lone formed the central midfield pairing for the first team for the first time, having both filled those roles many times for the Under 21s in recent years.

Glencairn started the game on the front foot and Scott Schoneville's corner in the 2nd minute picked out the free head of Keirin Coleman at the back post, but his effort looped across goal and over the crossbar. Schoneville threatened again in the 6th minute as his overlapping run and cross was almost turned into his own net by the head of former Glencairn defender Steven McGurgan.

Derek McNab went even closer two minutes later as his curling shot from 18 yards had the goalkeeper beaten but rebounded from the face of the crossbar.

Wishaw hadn't really threatened the Glencairn goal until the mid point of the first half when Garry Whyte had to race out to smother the ball at the feet of Wishaw's no.11 as he ran through on goal. The Glens went close again when Mick O'Byrne was fouled on the edge of the penalty area and Schoneville's driven free kick pulled a save out of the home number one.

Schoneville was the architect again in the  35th minute as he drove forward on the left and crossed, where Jay McKay chested the ball down but pulled his shot on the turn wide of the post.

The hosts edged in front in the 38th minute as a corner from the right wasn't effectively cleared. The ball was driven through a crowd of players and Whyte couldn't smother it on his goal line, allowing Jack McClair to run in and fire into the net from a couple of yards out.

Half time : 1-0

Michael Lone goes close for The Glens early in the second half.

Glencairn made three changes at the interval, with Scott McLellan taking over in goals, and Liam Gormley going up front alongside McKay. Terry Hewitt returned from injury to replace Kerr on the left side of defence for the second half.

Schoneville continued to threaten and he almost set up Gormley in the 46th minute, his run and cross just having too much pace. Michael Lone went very close in the 48th minute as he pounced on hesitation in the defence to steal the ball and shoot (pictured above), but his shot took a slight deflection and slipped inches wide of the far post.

Michael Lone set up Gormley for a shot on the turn which was saved on the goal line, and just after the hour mark Wishaw's no.4 headed back past his own goalie but the ball trickled agonisingly a foot wide of the goal. The same defender made amends from the resulting corner as he blocked McKay's near post header which looked like a certain goal.

McKay was replaced up front by Rikki McIntosh in The Glens' final change with just under half an hour left to play. McIntosh was quickly into the action as Glencairn continued to pressurise, and he had two on-target shots blocked with the latter seeing handball claims waved away by the referee.

It was pretty much one-way traffic now, and Michael Lone's surging run up the left wing ended with a cross which fell awkwardly behind McIntosh. The young midfielder continued to impress as he first of all set up Gormley for a chance which was denied, and then surged into the box himself only to see his rather scuffed low shot also saved.

Wishaw's goalkeeper made an outstanding save in the 80th minute to deny McIntosh's clever back-heeled effort, the stopper reaching down low to hold the ball on the goal line behind him.

Despite the pressure it seemed like "one of those afternoons" when The Glens just wouldn't score. Gormley sprung the offside trap in the 90th minute but the pass to him didn't have enough pace for him to force the ball on target when it arrived at his feet. The final effort came in stoppage time as Schoneville drilled a shot an angled shot from 20 yards over the crossbar.

Overall, though, it was another 90 minutes into the tank for the players, and a friendly defeat will not do them any harm and keep them focussed after a good run of results, with the start of the season now only two weeks away.

Rutherglen Glencairn :- Whyte (McLellan), Coleman, O'Byrne, Kerr (Hewitt), Wingate, McGuire, Thomas Lone (Gormley), Michael Lone, Schoneville, McKay (McIntosh), McNab.

Man of the match - (chosen by Eddie Smith) Scott Schoneville.

 Scott Schoneville


Latest Glencairn news via Twitter